Escape to an enchanting, living sandbox surrounded by wildlife and nature. Scavenge materials and craft tools to turn your small cabin into a warm, well-supplied home. Survive by fishing, cooking and growing your own food. Be careful though, the forest is as dangerous as it is wonderful.
Developer: FJRD Interactive
Platforms: Epic Store, Steam
Links: The website disappeared
Release Date: 06/13/20 (As Epic Exclusive)
Status: Full Release
- Build: Your cabin grows with you: build new rooms to unlock additional game mechanics, including cooking, gardening, crafting and sewing.
- Grow: Nurture delicate (and delicious) plants in your greenhouse. Eat them raw or make a stew for better nutritional values.
- Explore: Explore a living, colorful world, ranging from dense forests to dark caves.
- Survive: Dangerous animals roam some areas in the woods. Better keep a distance if you can. (Among Trees also includes a ZEN mode without dangerous animals)
- Tame a fox pet!
Among Trees does have a small block of relevant survival stats: hunger, thirst, sleep, warmth, and health. This is not any bushcraft or knife's edge style survival. Water is plentiful, and food is easily obtained, though it takes a little bit to get the hang of procurement.
Among Trees is the type of “survival” game my wife enjoys- tranquil and (relatively) danger free. We both find it beautiful & unique in the looks department, but it lacks the gritty ‘walking the knifes edge of death’ that I like in my survival/simulation games.
That being said.
Per a Developer Steam announcement on 11/9/2021, the game is now considered complete, and the developers are moving on to a new project. This was a slap in the face for many, not only the current game owners but also those looking forward to the Steam release after the year of Epic exclusivity. Plus, a fairly detailed roadmap was basically abandoned when the plug was pulled.
It’s not my cup of tea (which is neither here nor there), and I just found the developers' handling of the entire situation to leave a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. But it does still cycle on & off on sale pricing, so if you want to pick it up for the hell of it (it IS gorgeous)- why not?
- 3/12/23- Changelog added.