Blind Descent is a multiplayer open-world survival adventure game with up to 4 players set in the Martian underground.
- Survive on a vast subterranean world beneath the Martian surface.
- Dive deep into dangerous dungeons and gather resources.
- Climb dynamically, craft tools that can help you pass obstacles.
- Progress through the story and unlock the mysteries and the fate of the missing pioneer team.
- Build your house, deck out your buildings with furniture, crafting tools, and more.
- Track the footsteps of the missing pioneer team and learn their fate.
- Play with your friends- up to four people.
- Blind Descent went live on their social media platforms back in mid/late 2020, posting for a smidgen of time before dropping inactive. In a Twitter post dated Aug 9th of 2020, it was mentioned that the game had already been in the works for two years.
- The development team began posting monthly updates to their Steam page starting in January of 2022. It was mentioned that May wouldn’t received a posted update as the team was not only busy completing unfinished work, but the game had been moved from UE4 to UE5, which spawned some new bugs/issues. (Steam Page Events)
- There will be a natural progression system. Ex: running often will increase maximum stamina, or taking care of oneself (showers, sleeping regularly) there will be small benefits that will boost some capabilities. (Developer interview with MathChief)
At the risk of sounding a bit like a broken record, I am cautiously hopeful/optimistic. Pretty much the same level as I am with any other upcoming game that has a lot of mechanical/overall depth promised. I like the idea of this subterranean enclosed world that’s hidden away. It’s a neat hook. And no zombies!
There also seems to be a tremendous level of detail/attention paid to the decor items available for your base building. At least in the video footage (and one of the images above) there’s a variety of potted plants, a bunch of wooden furniture that look more decorative than useful, etc. I wonder how much of it will have some interaction based purpose – like sitting in the chairs, having the flowers fulfill something other than simply being eye candy. Upping some type of morale maybe, or a small boost to energy regen for example.
I’ll be keeping an eye on their monthly blogs, Twitter, and Discord for information. If I spot anything- I’ll update this post.
Wishlist Blind Descent and other great games via our Curator Page on Steam!