How long can you survive a post-apocalyptic world? A land overrun with an infected “zombie” population, where you compete with other survivors for limited resources. Will you team up with strangers and stay strong together? Or play as a lone wolf to avoid betrayal? This is DayZ – this is your story.
Developer: Bohemia Interactive
Platforms: Steam, Microsoft Store, Xbox One , PS4
Modes: Server based multiplayer
Release Date: Dec 13, 2018
Status: Full Release
- With no checkpoints or saves, when you die, you lose everything and have to start over.
- Complex and authentic survival mechanics, including hunting, crafting, building, health preservation, and resource management.
- Unpredictable and often emotional interactions with other players leading to a limitless spectrum of emergent game play.
- A huge 230 km2 map with a variety of beautiful landscapes and landmarks based on real-life locations.
- Up to 60 players striving to survive by any means necessary. Make friends, kill on sight, kidnap strangers and bend them to your will, or be betrayed for a can of beans. Anything and everything is possible.
- An array of environmental threats that will test your capabilities. From erratic weather and dangerous wildlife to pitch-black nights and rage-induced infected.
I love and hate the survival aspects of DayZ, no lie. I love that they have more than just basic food & water, though the tuning - the degradation- of your food & water meters is a bit wonky. But there are health-related status effects like dehydration, cholera, common cold, and dysentery. Wounds will bleed and require bandages, and you can be knocked unconscious or pass out from blood loss.
I would love to see the methods of remedying these issues be expanded upon because outside of blood loss (cured by transfusion), the rest can be resolved by popping a pill and some time. However, the drugs can be damn rare, depending on your server! There is a body temperature mechanic that impacts your getting cold and getting sick, though frankly, I've found it clunky. You can also implement and/or enhance survival-related mechanics with the addition of mods because there is a reasonably expansive modding community built around the game.
I'm a massive fan of this game and consider it one of my top choices for survival. I previously posted a link to a written review, but I want to rewrite it, so it doesn't sound like dogshit. I'll have it up again by the end of March.
Buy the game on sale because it's a bit pricey! It goes on sale fairly frequently- and you'll want to pick up the Livonia DLC as well since it's a fun map to explore.
- 3/12/23- Changelog added.