Deadside is a hardcore multiplayer shooter with survival elements. Post-Apocalypse, PvP, PvE, open world, realistic weapons, craft, base building.
- Early Access playable area limited to about 25 sq.km. (Eventual size 225 sq.km)
- Missions, open to all within the map, featuring objectives and NPCs.
- Realistic ballistics and hardcore weapon damage, with 19 weapons available at early access.
- Safe zones, called ‘Green Zones’, are places of trade and communication between players and friendly NPC traders.
- Base Building & Crafting
- Base raiding: bases have an “online-only” raid system. If you kill other players and they have a base, they might drop a raid token. This token, when activated, shows everyone on the server the location of the base, and it’s raidable for an hour.
So I’ve given Deadside a shot a couple of times and, while it’s not for me, I haven’t quite decided how I feel about it as of yet. I think first and foremost, it’s always been really hard for me to use a less refined/advanced version of a product/game/etc after using a “better version”. So after spending most of my time within modded DayZ servers and SCUM, it’s hard to kinda take that step down into the (to me) less refined UI/mechanics/gameplay feel of Deadside. Some other examples; loot being placed out in Deadside felt fairly gimmicky with the glow/highlight aspect, sometimes painted assets (like trash or jeans on the floor) looked intractable but weren’t, cars/houses/containers felt clunky & like pointless filler since there wasn’t any engagement/interaction/depth to them. Huge swaths of foliage could be run through, but then oddly some of the branches of a group of trees would be solid. My stats (water/food) seemed pretty boundless and my health regenerated fairly quickly- but these could be due to mods on the server(s) I was frequenting?
Negative reviews on the game mostly highlight similar issues to any other pvp based game- issues with cheaters/hackers/griefing. So server choice will be important- or just pay to rent your own personal server! Similar to Subsistence and Mist Survival, many of the comments touched on the headshot/deadliness aspect of the AI hostiles. So if being taken out by both players and NPCS isn’t your style, perhaps steer clear?