Plunge into the open world survival simulation set in the extreme conditions of the uncharted Amazon jungle. Use real-life survival techniques to craft, hunt, fight and gather resources, set a makeshift shelter or raise a fortress. Tend your wounds and maintain mental health – alone or with friends.
Developer: Creepy Jar
Platforms: Steam, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Links: Website, VR Game
Modes: Singleplayer, Player Hosted co-op
Release Date: Sep 5, 2019
Status: Full Release
- Body inspection mode
- A multitude of fauna and flora and the dangers awaiting the player
- Environment and situation impact on the player’s psychology
- Impact of environment changes to the ecosystem
- An addictive story
- Dynamically changing environment
- Use of true survival techniques (including starting fires, camp building, animal traps construction)
- Sourcing and composing objects allowing survival (including weapons and tools)
- Food sourcing (hunting, farming)
- Wound, disease and other injury treatment, depending on the situation
Green Hell is a monster of a game for mechanics, both general survival & bushcraft. You'll not just require food & water but, more specifically, clean water alongside protein/carbs/fats. Injuries come in various forms ranging from scrapes to deeper cuts and even mental instability. Healing these issues can require an array of food and bandage types. Inventory management restricts your resources and adds an impactful element to how you fill your bag.
Full disclosure, I ran the official Discord community server for the game for a year that started right when the game launched into Early Access. Fantastic experience - I met many fascinating folks from around the world. (Especially my Creepy Jar liaison, Basia!) I also ended up with some super sexy GH t-shirts.
I’m notoriously bad at completing anything story related in games- but I did finish (and like!) the story mode in the base game. It was actually an exciting & trippy experience. Sandbox-wise, the detailed crafting style is a bit addictive- I always like having to figure things out. While gorgeously deadly, the jungle became monotonous to me after a while. I’ve been spoiled by all of these titles with seasons or biomes. I started to mess around with the Spirits of Amazonia DLC series, but I had to bail on it partway. I think WoW killed my ability to handle having to grind reputation(s) in a game. I encourage you to try it out; you won’t be disappointed.
- 3/12/23- Changelog added.