Road to Vostok is a hardcore single-player survival game set in a post-apocalyptic border zone between Finland and Russia. Survive, loot, plan and prepare your way across the Border Zone and enter the Vostok.
Developer: Listed on Steam as 'Road to Vostok'
Modes: Singleplayer, Co-op planned for far in the future as an alternative game mode.
Release Date: TBA
Status: Under development but a public demo is available.
- Survival elements- realistic weapon mechanics, advanced survival systems and hostile NPC’s. Featuring multiple medical conditions, tactical weapon handling, permadeath elements and in-depth character simulation
- Scavenge & craft - find weapons, tools, consumables, medical items, military gear, electronics, apparel and much more.
- Featuring trading, dynamic & randomized game world events, shelters (safe zones) and more.
- The playable game world is made from individual maps, which are unique areas and based on real-world locations. These maps are connected to each other and each map has a difficulty rating in terms of NPC-AI. The main idea is that when you travel east and towards Vostok, the game will get harder but the loot will get better.
Current state of the Early Access version (May 2022):
- Procedural FPS Controller
- Full-body Inertia System
- Looting / Container System
- Item Placement System
- Modular AI Behavior System
- 1 Map (Village)
- 1 Shelter
- Save System
- Time of Day
- Weather System
The available demo is pretty limited in scope; there aren't any survival elements to discuss. According to the website & Steam store page, the game will feature "advanced survival systems" and multiple medical conditions. The latter makes me think more about Escape from Tarkov, but it will heavily depend on what makes up an "advanced survival system."
I spent a few hours dicking around with the demo and enjoyed myself. You're given a small map section, an array of weapons, and some enemy AI to murder. They're better at this point than the gun-toting AI we're all used to in Subsistence. The gunplay and combat engagement felt pretty solid to me. The map is gorgeous- the demo even allowed for swapping between day and night, making exploring interesting.
- 3/11/23- Changelog added.