Sent to find a missing billionaire on a remote island, you find yourself in a cannibal-infested hellscape. Craft, build, and struggle to survive, alone or with friends, in this terrifying new open-world survival horror simulator.
- Co-op gameplay
- Dynamic seasons- entire map wide- that impact both the type and quantity of available food
- Build & craft
- Fight mutated creatures (and demons?) with pistols, axes, stun batons and more
- Complete gameplay freedom- no reliance on NPCs
- While originally planned for May of 2022, the game was recently pushed back to October of 2022. Pretty sure we all knew this was coming given that- when the announcement game- progress was largely radio silent, there was an ominous lack of Steam page, and the images we had access to were all from end of 2021. Speculation ranges from issues with development stemming from the complexity of the planned features & mechanics to perhaps them deciding to shift to Unreal Engine 5 and needing that extra time to port over & bug-fix.
- Despite the success of The Forest, Endnight seemingly remains a developer that would rather folks play & discover the game versus spilling everything out ahead of time. And honestly these days with the disconnect between “promised” features and those delivered-staying mum may just be a smart defense.
- The plan seems to be to keep with the same style of story telling as the first game, with limited dialogue, allowing the player to unfold it as they go. (Escapist Magazine Interview, Jan 2021)
- The Sons of the Forest map is based on the Site 2 map, which is briefly glimpsed on a wall at the end of the first game.(Escapist Magazine Interview, Jan 2021)
- A.I. is the main focus of the new game, to the point that they created an entirely new tool to develop the new AI features. AI characters will be able to become afraid, tired, angry, hungry, thirsty, bored, etc., and these feelings influence their decisions.(Escapist Magazine Interview, Jan 2021)
- You’ll be able to use a 3D printer to expand your crafting and create more complex things. (Farket & Endnight Q&A, Jan 2021)
Right up front I want to say SORRY DEE, IT APPEARS SNAUSAGES (known to others as “the worm” or “flying worm”) WILL NOT BE IN THE SEQUEL. However we do have some type of companion, judging by the ‘Virginia’ character all up in our business in the trailer(s), but at least Endnight has basically said that how you handle having said companion is up to you. I wonder what happens with her when playing multiplayer. I’m glad to see that the map is described as being 4-5 times the size of the map in the first game, as I always felt that the map in The Forest was small. Mind you this is just me thinking that as an observation, it was perfectly fine for the gameplay & story!
Despite being terrified of anything scary and/or gory, I’m ALL IN on being excited for the game and can’t wait to to jump in with my sister- I’m already lamenting her untimely demise. While I’m obviously excited for the fancy map/fancy new graphics, the cool (nightmare inducing) updates to the AI, the new weapons, etc- I have to say I am most excited about the features/changes to survival mechanics. It seems like Endnight is leaning into the idea of it being a true survival title beyond the basic mechanics they had in the previous title. The seasons – and relation to the food scarcity/type- sound fantastic, I can’t wait to try the digging and the new level of detail in many of the survival features, like crafting & foraging.
All in all I can’t wait, so I’ll just sit here with fingers crossed and hope it isn’t delayed again.