The dead have risen and civilization has fallen. Now it’s up to you to gather survivors, scavenge for resources and build a community in a post-apocalyptic world – a world where you define what it means to survive in this ultimate zombie survival simulation.
- A vast open-world where you could establish settlements at a variety of locations.
- Grow crops, construct buildings and secure a livelihood amidst a perilous world.
- Play as a variety of different survivors each with their own skills and abilities. No two communities are ever the same.
- Four different town maps and five difficulty settings allow you to customize your experience into the zombie survival fantasy you crave.
- Customize even further with sliders to dial in your preferred level of zombies, resources, and community spirit
- With co-op multiplayer support, you can visit your friends’ communities and help them through a tough spot, bringing back rewards for your own communities later. Alternate game modes include a full 10-hour narrative campaign and a four-player zombie-slaughtering “siege defense” mode.
This is flat out not a survival game. I guess we can call it survival horror since that seems to be the in thing, though I wonder why it has to be called survival horror and not just horror. (Are there horror games where you're in literally no danger and you just walk around with terrible gore and crap? IDK. Not my lane.)
State of Decay 2 has been out since 2020, following the success of State of Decay and State of Decay- Year One Survival Edition. Microsoft revealed State Of Decay 3 at the Xbox Games Showcase in 2020, but we’ve not heard a great deal since. Kotaku dropped a burnout & chaos filled news article back in March of 2022, so perhaps the future- or at very least the progress- of SoD 3 is up in the air? What’s really cool about Undead Labs (the studio behind SoD) is that Jeff Strain, one of the founders, not only worked on World of Warcraft but also helped found ArenaNet, which created Guild Wars. (I was a big fan of WoW back in the day and I love GW2.)
Background aside- while I was aware of SoD 2 over the years, it was never a title I felt a need to try out. The survival genre seems to be slowly pushing me into horror games- because zombies everywhere- and into these little like…I dunno. Community management style games?? You know- the whole gather up your little NPC weebles and guide them around, feed & care for them, all that bullshit. I can’t even keep a cactus alive, so saving a tiny pixel community of lost souls has always been beyond my reach. But between End Zone and Frost Punk– I dunno. I figured- what’s the worst that can happen? And yanno what- I fucking really enjoy it a ton. I actually find it a lot more rewarding & immersive than 7D2D is, in terms of exploration and the feel of the world. Though recently I spend a lot of time hunting down new cars. Ha! Pick it up if you enjoy the freedom to explore, enough zombies to eat you 100x times over, and some hilarious NPC AI.
There is no additional Hashtag Survival content on this game at this time.