Survival: Fountain of Youth is a challenging single-player open-world survival game set on 16th-century Caribbean islands. You play as a stranded explorer having to craft and fight your way through the struggles of survival to make your own fate and to unveil the secrets of an ancient civilization.
- Travel the ocean in a variety of handcrafted sea vessels.
- Forage, scavenge and craft- hundreds of items that can be crafted and used for survival, including a variety of workshops.
- Each action you perform improves your survival skills – the longer you survive, the more survival points you receive, which can be used to develop survival abilities.
- 20+ unique islands- each with their own landscape, climate, weather, flora, fauna and resources.
- Play through the story or ignore it and play as a survival sandbox.
- The only social media I’ve seen besides the Discord is their Twitter account.
- Their hope is to release a fully prepared game without launching as Early Access. I’m interested to see what that means in terms of demo/play test access. (Steam FAQ)
- Gameplay can continue in sandbox mode after (if?) you complete the story-line. (Steam FAQ)
My Thoughts- 7/31/2022
Anyone else feel like lately we’ve been moving away from the era of ‘YOUR PLANE CRASHED’ to ‘YOUR SHIP SANK’? Not saying this is based on a ship wreck, just seeing a lot of ocean based survival titles recently. Which, hey, new eye candy is always good! In before folks are calling Survival: Fountain of Youth (SFoY?) another Stranded Deep clone. It reminds me a little as a blend of Stranded Deep with the visuals (UI, inventory look) of Sea of Thieves.
The game sprung onto the scene quite abruptly with a detailed Steam store page and a fresh new Twitter account hosting a tiny handful of Tweets. As of 5/22/2022 you were able to opt in for the demo of the game right from their Steam store page, with my request being approved relatively quickly. The game really gained some traction during the Steam Next Fest demo extravaganza, as hordes of content creators descended upon the demo pile en masse. Flat out- I haven’t been able to play as much as I’d like. I sank a good half dozen hours into it, streaming for folks in the Discord, and then shuttered it for two reasons.
One- I had been/am currently have to shuttle around to doctors a ton, which cuts down on gameplay time. And two- I’m torn on whether I want to record a gameplay series on it, so I want to be able to record/experience things “in the moment”. I really enjoy my time in it so far though- it’s very much a throwback to a ‘genuine’ survival game in my eyes – impactful mechanics, gritty survival, etc. Definitely download and check out the demo- and hang out in their Discord!