The Infected is a survival crafting game set in an open world sandbox. Build your base, defend and protect yourself from wildlife and infected Vambies. (Hybrid Vampire-Zombie)
Developer: DigX Studios
Links: Discord, Wiki
Release Date: Aug 7, 2020
Status: Early Access
- Survival mechanics including hunting, cooking, foraging, farming.
- Base building, including defensive aspects like fencing & barbed wire.
- Character Hunger, Thirst, Body Temperature Mechanics
- Item crafting, Power/Electricity Mechanics
- Aggressive AI include animals and hybrid zombie/vampire 'Vambies'
- Immersive atmosphere with a Day/Night cycle, weather conditions, and seasons.
- A public roadmap posted on Trello with suggestions from the community and features in the the works.
The Infected is on par with Subsistence regarding survival mechanics, with a smidgen of a Green Hell style specificity. Your food needs are more complex than simple food intake and divided into specific types of nutrition, like protein and carbs. Seasonal changes will send you scrambling for the means to regulate the impact of changing temperatures on your body. While few games can approach Green Hell's intricate bandaging system, The Infected has at least a few medical items that can be crafted to mend specific ailments. Health and energy bars round out the stats requiring attention.
The Infected is a solid choice if you enjoy the survival genre. Unlike many survival games, a large amount of customization can be accomplished via the menu settings to tweak the game into your preferred setup. While it's definitely less detailed than the customization available on a custom game of The Long Dark, there are still a lot of leeways allowed in tweaking the game to your preferred style of play.
Many players praise the building style & freedom, though some dislike the complexity of the crafting system. However, this aspect is being tweaked for an update to be released at the end of Q1 2023. On the flip side, if you've played other survival titles like Green Hell, the crafting restrictions shouldn't bother you.
- 3/14/23- Changelog added.