The Long Dark is a thoughtful, exploration-survival experience that challenges solo players to think for themselves as they explore an expansive frozen wilderness in the aftermath of a geomagnetic disaster. There are no zombies — only you, the cold, and all the threats Mother Nature can muster.
Platforms: Steam, Epic Games, PS4, Xbox, XBox PC gamepass, Switch
Release Date: Aug 1, 2017
Status: Full Release (Story Episodes released over time until all 5 are completed.)
- No handholding
- Permadeath (No permadeath in story mode)
- Monitor your Hunger, Thirst, Fatigue, and Cold
- Passage of time/time management
- Over 100 gear items including Tools, Light Sources, Weapons, First Aid supplies, Clothing, and more.
- 50 square kilometer Northern Canadian wilderness
- Dynamic time of day, weather, wildlife presence, etc. provide just enough randomness to keep things challenging.
- Hunt, fish, trap, climb, map, search for life-saving food and gear items, and try to avoid dying from the hostile wildlife, succumbing to hypothermia, frostbite, or dysentery (amongst other uncomfortable afflictions), find and maintain your life-saving gear. Hunt and be hunted by: Wolves, Bears, Moose, Rabbits, Deers, Crows, and more to come in future updates.
- Four distinct Experience Modes (difficulty settings) allow you to chose the perfect game experience.
The Long Dark is my favorite mechanically dense survival title. No hand-holding combined with permadeath. Monitor your hunger, thirst, fatigue, and temperature. Inventory management and time management. Dynamic time of day, weather, and wildlife presence provide just enough randomness to keep things challenging. Permadeath really ensures that you view any & all choices as being impactful.
The fact that I have somehow STILL NOT WRITTEN A REVIEW FOR THIS FUCKING GAME BOGGLES MY MIND... he says, while still not writing the review. I’m going to. I love this game so hard that I don’t know if I can adequately convey that in a written critique. Perhaps a sonnet. Or an emotional guitar solo. Can I show you pictures of my TLD fan shrine? Probably awkward.
Get this game. It’s gorgeous- the music, the visuals, the experience. It’s on Microsoft game pass, and that damn thing is a buck for signup practically all the time, so there’s no excuse, and I’ll see you in 20 hours when you pry yourself away.
- 3/15/23- Changelog added.