The Long Dark is a thoughtful, exploration-survival experience that challenges solo players to think for themselves as they explore an expansive frozen wilderness in the aftermath of a geomagnetic disaster. There are no zombies — only you, the cold, and all the threats Mother Nature can muster.
- No handholding
- Permadeath (No permadeath in story mode)
- Monitor your Hunger, Thirst, Fatigue, and Cold
- Passage of time/time management
- Over 100 gear items including Tools, Light Sources, Weapons, First Aid supplies, Clothing, and more.
- 50 square kilometer Northern Canadian wilderness
- Dynamic time of day, weather, wildlife presence, etc. provide just enough randomness to keep things challenging.
- Hunt, fish, trap, climb, map, search for life-saving food and gear items, and try to avoid dying from the hostile wildlife, succumbing to hypothermia, frostbite, or dysentery (amongst other uncomfortable afflictions), find and maintain your life-saving gear. Hunt and be hunted by: Wolves, Bears, Moose, Rabbits, Deers, Crows, and more to come in future updates.
- Four distinct Experience Modes (difficulty settings) allow you to chose the perfect game experience.
The fact that I have somehow STILL NOT WRITTEN A REVIEW FOR THIS FUCKING GAME BOGGLES MY MIND.
He says, while still not writing the review. I’m going to. I just love this game so hard I don’t even know if I can properly convey that in a written review. Perhaps a sonnet. Or an emotional guitar solo. I can show you pictures of my TLD fan shrine? Probably awkward.
Get this game. It’s gorgeous- the music, the visuals, the experience. It’s on Microsoft gamepass and that damn thing is a buck for a signup practically all the time, so there’s basically no excuse and I’ll see you in 20 hours when you pry yourself away.